Sunday, August 29, 2021

Fulfilling the Promise: My Superb Neck Knife and Perfect Quilled Sheath

In 2018 I asked Jud to make me the finest neck knife in the world. He did! (Please see my blog post from October 9th, 2018). 

I had met Andy Ruffner at the CLA Show that year and was impressed with his fine porcupine quill work and his mastery of brain tanning deer hides and use of natural dyes in all his work. Here was the man who's talent was equal to the task of making the world's finest neck sheath for the finest neck knife!

The completed sheath is breathtaking in its detail and authenticity, shown here for the first time! And Lally House, herself, bestowed the highest praise that could ever be given for a project of this magnitude when she exclaimed her admiration and approval!

Andy and I agreed to enter the knife and sheath in the President's Display at this year's show. We didn't win first place but the knife and sheath were praised and appreciated by all who saw them!

Andy's wife kindly prepared and presented to me a beautiful book documenting the fabrication of every aspect and detail of the making of the sheath and the preparation, dying and attaching of the quills. 






1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures, John Bivins once told me that Jud was as good as you can get to be, that very few even come close to his talent, everything that he makes is Masterpiece Grade, his engraving is beyond incredible. The Wood selections are equal, this is by far the best 18th century site on the Internet. When I first met Jud in 1985 at the KRA Show,, his rifles weren’t better than the originals, I will never forget he had 5 nice Gold Nuggets in a leather pouch in his pocket that he panned. I can’t wait to see the Pistols completed, and the Neck Knife is the finest ever made. Enjoy Steve Boyleston

    ReplyDelete