Saturday, February 28, 2015

Something old, something new: Two Dirks and a Sgian Dubh by Jud

Nearly 30 years ago Jud created superb Dirk/Sgian Dubh set for a private collector. The Dirk featured a wrought iron blade with a forge welded edge of high carbon steel. The blade showed the natural voids and impurities characteristic of wrought iron which added character and historic authenticity.

The prospective owner rejected the blade and returned it to Jud for a more modern appearing replacement. I happened to be visiting Jud in his shop at the time and claimed the blade, subsequently  fitted by Jud with an ebony handle, for myself. It has been a treasured knife in my collection ever since and has recently been fitted with a matching leather scabbard. 

The other Dirk is a recent gift to my son. The Sgian Dubh is a companion piece for my daughter-in-law and has the names of my two granddaughters engraved on the handle.